Thursday, November 21, 2013

Looking Back, Giving Thanks, Pressing Forward

Hey folks, so after a long abatement (new word I learned 3 days ago that means – an interruption in the intensity or amount of something… You know I had to use it.. Ahem) I’m back with a new and exciting post.This post should actually have been up over a year ago. But then again I had a writers block and had shelved my blogging. But am back!Well, last year September I was in Helsinki, Finland. Helsinki is the capital city of Finland and I traveled there via Istanbul, Turkey. The flight there was breathtaking.

           I loved how dramatic the clouds over Istanbul looked.


                My dinner in the restaurant above the clouds.



The table was set, the munchies sizzling and the scrumptious meal of pure gorgeousness was before me (and my trusty camera) so I clicked away.. These were some of the results…

                                  This was one of the beauties at Vantaa Airport.


                                  The Cathedral at the Senate Square in Helsinki.

A distinctive landmark in the Helsinki cityscape, with its tall, green dome surrounded by four smaller domes, the building is in the neoclassical style. It was designed by Carl Ludvig Engel as the climax of his Senate Square layout: it is surrounded by other, smaller buildings designed by him.


                                                     Kamppi Chapel of silence


The wooden building in this picture is a very modern church. Kamppi Chapel is situated in the mall square and made entirely from wood. I would have never guessed that it was a church by looking at it.

                                                Kamppi church from the inside


The inside of the chapel is all wood with no paintings or decorations. It is curved. Staring at the wood almost looks as if you have fallen into some wooden (black) hole, it has a strange affect.

                                  One of the magnificent buidings in the city



             I particularly liked this fountain and the statue at the end of it was magnificent.



                                                     This little dog caught my eye.



                     The trams were so convenient for transportation around the city.




                   Was tempted to take a cruise to Sweden but duty called back home.


                            The prices at Stockmann were well out of this world. 

                          This is where the Open Knowledge Festival went down




                                               I had some 'I believe I can fly' moments





                                                And some random poses in the city



                                            More randomness in my hotel room

 
 Absolutely enjoyed my stay at the OmenaHotel…Omena  means Apple in Finnish



                                                               Checking out! 



No comments:

Post a Comment